Obtuse Revelations by Danielle

Dare to dream, hope, believe, seek, feel, find, and love.

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Love Letters


Lately I’ve been thinking about how the Internet is similar to the aristocrats in the 18th century, when people used to conduct complete courtships by letters. Those letters were delivered by servants, relatives who were visiting, or people who were passing through on whatever business may take them that way. Letters were a lot more eloquently written back then, designed to arouse the reader’s passion by romantic comparisons and imagery.

Poetry served the same purpose and those lucky enough to have the talent of rhyme could have any lady’s breathless adoration. No wonder Lord Byron was so popular with the ladies.

I’ve often asked myself if a person can truly fall in love with someone through this method. A well turned phrase, a lavish compliment can cause a person to illicit emotions when spoke in person...why not written words?

Many courtships have started via email and through chat rooms. I can’t imagin being in love, I mean true heart-racing, pulse-quickening, palm-sweating, knees-shaking in love.

And yet, I feel a warm glow every time I think of someone who has written me wonderful messages, made me feel like a gracious and beautiful lady. I can believe it’s possible, if only for a fleeting moment. Reality tells me it’s not love, but I can cherish it for what it is...an experience I wouldn’t trade for all the romantic gestures and love poems in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home